Organizers: The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), AKADEMIYA2063, and the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
African food systems are crucial for national economies, sustaining livelihoods, food security, and meeting nutritional needs. However, challenges like environmental decline, pests, diseases, biodiversity loss, conflicts, and climate change threaten their sustainability and health. Addressing these challenges is critical to ensuring that African food systems can continue to thrive and deliver benefits to society.
A wide range of stakeholders will participate in this partner event to 1. Explore the role of data, AI, and digital platforms in facilitating data access, driving innovation, and guiding decision-making in agriculture and food system transformation, 2. Highlight the importance of reliable and timely agricultural data and market information for guiding policies, market information, food security, and sustainable food systems, 3. Learn how to utilize publicly available data and digital and market tools and how you may work with USDA.
Organized under the framework of the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) 2023, the session will feature the following speakers:
1. Dr. Ousmane Badiane, Executive Chairperson, AKADEMIYA2063
2. Dr. Agnes Kalibata, President, Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
3. Dr. Godfrey Bahiigwa, Director, African Union Commission, Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment (AUC- DARBE)
4. Dr. Otto Gonzalez, Senior Director, Agricultural Economic Development Division, Global Programs, USDA Foreign Agricultural Service
5. Ms. Lisa Colson, USDA Foreign Agricultural Service
6. Mr. Andrew Mack, CEO and founder of Agromovil, a project implementer of USDA Foreign Agricultural Service
7. Dr. Paul Thangata, Head of Data Analytics, Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
8. Dr. Racine Ly, Director, Data Management, Digital Products and Technology, AKADEMIYA2063
9. Mr. Babacar Ceesay, Senior Manager, Information Systems, Department of Data Management, Digital Products and Technology, AKADEMIYA2063
10. Ms. Providence Mavubi, Director for Agriculture and Industry, Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
11. Mr. Boaz Keizire, Head of Policy, Advocacy and Food Systems, Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)